Friday, November 05, 2004

Dark and dreary November

It is so dark. Here it is nearly noon and it is so dark. There were some snow flurries or freezing rain mixed in with the rain this morning when I took the dogs out for their walk. I spotted one crazy blanket flower in glorious bloom, one brilliant orange blossom turning its face smiling bravely out toward the day. It cheered me enormously.

I tried and tried to loosen the garden hose from the outside faucet, but it is stuck hard. I'll have to have help with that. I wanted to put it away for the winter. I also noticed I have left some garden markers outside. Messy, messy. I will have to get them in and stored away also.

Up until a couple of days ago, I was still picking a tomato or two from the garden, even though the vines had long ago been blighted by frost. On Monday night, Nov. 1, I went with one of my dearest and oldest friends to the Sarah Brightman concert in Toronto. This friend gets me, does not think I'm weird or crazy. She has always been ready to help when I asked, but she just listens and lets me be myself at other times. Plus, I'm flattered to think she enjoys me just as I am. We had so much fun catching up and chatting while we waited for the train that we actually missed the train! We did give ourselves lots of time, so catching the next train did not make us late for the concert, which by the way, was a fabulous show. I was near tears several times. What a voice.

I did do a couple of drawings this week. I have a policy of not tearing up any drawing in my sketch books, no matter how dumb they seem. It gives me perspective on drawings I am happier with, and helps me see my progress.

I am saddened by the election results in the US. Although I am quite cynical about the ability of even the most well-meaning politician to stay honest in a world dominated by big corporations and the over-riding interests of money, I do think Bush cannot really be described as a man of character. Policies that allow pollution of the world to continue unabated, or even increase pollution, policies that allow corporations to plunder the resources of our earth, and the economies of poor countries, and policies of war for the purposes of maintaining access to oil, all the while diverting the attention of simple folk from perhaps more pressing real social and economic issues with words like faith & family values, all seem to me to be the actions of a man devoid of conscience. What right do Bush and his cronies think they have to further their own financial positions at the expense of the natural world, the third world, their own less-privileged citizens and the generations to come?

I read a quote today on the website of Tom Spencer (Soul of the Garden), and it goes like this:

"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . Corporations have been enthroned, an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money-power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until the wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed." -Abraham Lincoln
I am lighting candles and incense, and meditating on my hope that the disastrous path this world seems to be on will not come to pass, that positive influences will be able to hold some sway in the US and the world.

Current Mood: melancholy

Current Music: Andreas Bocelli: Macchine da Guerra,(CD: Romanza)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home