Thursday, June 30, 2005

ant solutions


Image hosted by Photobucket.comants & eggs

The six-legged kind of patio ants, (vs the tw0-legged patrons on the patio of a local bar) who build little miniature volcanoes of sand in the cracks between the patio stones, are a little annoying. I also discovered a large colony of ants in the second bed of gladioli I made today. (Will the gladioli really have time to bloom before frost--this is really late isn't it, to be planting gladioli bulbs?) On CBC's gardening show with Ed Lawrence, Ed gave a caller the solution of watering the ants to death, ie, ants like dry places, so water the patio copiously. The ants will move to a drier location, so, they won't be watered to death, rather watered to move. Do I dare try this, being as stingy about water as I am lately?

I understand ants are a benign, even a hugely beneficial, part of the eco-system of our forests, etc., but would it be so very unfriendly to the environment to water the patio to encourage my unwanted guests to move away?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home