Tuesday, September 13, 2005

call of the wild

On Sunday night, a week and a half ago, I was busy in my workroom. Suddenly, I was drawn back to reality from whatever I was absorbed in, by a chorus of yipping and howling coyotes (maybe wolves --I really don't know). Now, I hear them all the time, but they never have been quite this close-sounding.

The dogs! I realized in alarm that they were still outside. There are all sorts of stories about coyotes and wolves luring away pets so I went dashing downstairs to bring the dogs in. Not that I'm sure those stories aren't rural myths. (ok, I'll admit it, I'm a city girl, and some country sounds do make me a little nervous -- not as frightening as many city sounds, however!)

Anyhow, Misty and Tasha are huddled as close to the screen door as they can get, and Misty and Tasha are not noted for enjoying close company. They ran in as soon as I opened the door.

Molly had been tied to "her" apple tree because she is the most obstinate car-chaser of all and my landlords were coming and going all weekend to their homes and cottages along the lakeshore. I went running out into the orchard to untie her.

The yipping and howling sounded even closer. I swear it seemed to be coming right from within the orchard; perhaps they were at the gate behind the weeping willow tree.

I untied Molly and shooed her as fast as I could toward the house. The hair on the back of my neck was standing on end.

Suddenly, I was a four-year old kid in Africa, listening the hyena laughter in the deepest, blackest African night, asking my Mom and Dad if there were sure the hyenas weren't just outside my window. They were sure and even shone a flashlight out into the yard to show me the hyenas were not in the yard. The hyenas were outside the compound fence, they assured me. To me, that fence was very, very far away. I could not believe that the hyenas could make such noise from so far away that they sounded like they were right in the yard. To this day....I'm not sure.

Here is an interesting blogger who rescues wolves and coyotes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home