Wednesday, March 30, 2005

my version of karmic law

I offer my thanks to Christian, for reading, and making the comments on how we seem to have so little time to appreciate the good things in our lives, and it does seem to be true.

Feeling a terrible lack of time for so many years when my children were little, I dreamed of a vacation sans kids, sans husband, when I could lay in a Muskoka chair, wrapped up in a Hudson's Bay blanket and read all day. Maybe an efficient person could appear regularly with more hot coffee...

These days, after deliberately making more time in my life (well, ok, I'll admit it, not completely deliberately-- I was really sort of pushed to do it for health reasons--long story) I still find I complain of a lack of time. Without wanting these things in my life, I can easily find many things that require attention, must be done right away, should be looked after...That part is not hard. Not hard at all!

It is probably my habitual way of looking at life. I'm quite accustomed to making long lists for myself of things I then use to punish myself with because I cannot possible accomplish them all. Then comes the guilt, another time waster!

My reading of various inspired writers leads me to the same conclusion over and over again: The Universal Source of all things is incredibly generous, kind and loving. We keep allowing our ego to get in the way.

Esther Hicks is said to have discovered that writing her "to do list" on a menu one morning, putting what she absolutely could and would do today in one column, and putting all the other things she wanted to do in a separate column on the other side, clarified her day. She left the menu behind on the table wherever it was, trusting that the Universal Source would take care of the much, much longer "want" list.

My ego would have great difficulty with that.

Somewhere on the way, I have heard that the ego loves the word "should". So I tried to eliminate that...To anyone out there who has a lot of shoulds in their life, I release you from should!

Lately, I just try to pay attention to whatever little good things I see. I believe that one little good thing will set off good higher vibrations that will eventually eliminate the lower vibrations of the bad things. I believe that what you focus on is what you will get more of.

So, instead of saying I barely have time to gulp down a cup of coffee, I say to myself, I'm so glad I have time to feel the comforting warmth of this coffee sliding down my throat!

Ann and I started a little game yesterday. We are wearing an elastic band on our wrist for a week. We will snap our wrist with this elastic band whenever our thoughts stray into whining or feeling sorry for ourselves or berating ourselves for not "measuring up". No000... my wrist isn't raw yet, even though I did have to snap the elastic a couple of times. I chose a bright red elastic so it would catch my eye as I go through my day. Many negative thoughts probably slid under the radar out of habit, but I did notice some of them approaching and changed my thinking, even if it was to notice only that I was able to notice the thought arriving and let it go. The old ego could make this a torture test as well, do you notice? I choose to appreciate that I did notice some thoughts before I got into the wallowing-in-the-cascade-of-negative-thoughts routine...I intend to notice more, and think better thoughts more and more. I'm enjoying the process. And I will never be "finished".

Being in the moment without judging it, ourselves or others is what releases us from bad karma. The ego loves to protect us and judges everything! Once it starts, look out: here comes another cascade-of-the-negative-thoughts routine! That's what keeps us trapped in the cycle of bad karma. If we can be open, in the moment, and say Namaste to ourselves and the other people in it, absolute magic happens.

(Namaste literally means "I humbly bow to you" in the Sanskrit language, one of the official languages of India. Namas: "to bow, obeisance, reverential salutation", and Te: "to you".
A more exalted way to understand this word is to accept the following --ie in your thinking--when greeting another one while bowing with both hands clasped togther:
'The God in me greets the God in you
The Spirit in me meets the same Spirit in you'
In other words, it recognizes the equality of all, and pays honour to the sacredness of all. )

It helps to remember: I am a human being, not a human doing.
(ps: Thanks Carrol!)
(pps: I got my love of cliches, the catchy phrase, from my Dad who spouted them every day. Now they are a part of the fabric of my thoughts--many of them, unfortunately, negative.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home