Monday, May 30, 2005

glories of the early spring garden

I wandered lonely as a cloud

That floats on high o'er vales and hills,

When all at once I saw a crowd,

A host, of golden daffodils;......

.....I gazed--and gazed--but little thought

What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie

In vacant or in pensive mood,

They flash upon that inward eye

Which is the bliss of solitude;

And then my heart with pleasure fills,

And dances with the daffodils.

(with apologies for this abridged version )--William Wordsworth,
1807

Many varieties of narcissi were found all over the garden, these between the back deck and patio:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

These daffodils were some forced bulbs that I potted up with the pastel blue viola below. They were spectacular on the shady front steps of the house.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Nothing needs to be said about the pure beauty of this white narcissus!


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This PJM Rhodo called 'Aglo', that remains in the pot I bought it in, because the bed it is to go into, in the shady front of the house, has to be weeded first of tons of lily of the valley, common gout weed, false solomon's seal and stinkweed seedlings.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Some forced fabulous pink and white double tulips that I potted up with a white viola: Viola cornuta 'Sorbet Coconut'. I placed this pot too on the shady front steps of the house where the tulips shone for weeks. The white violas are still blooming strong and I haven't decided where to put them now that the tulips are spent.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The aforementioned pastel blue viola, now repotted with calla lilies and placed on the shady front step of the house.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home