Monday, July 11, 2005

dropping apples

I went on a garden tour yesterday in our area and saw several beautiful gardens. Certain styles really appeal to me, particularly the gardens that have intimate small 'rooms', lots of detail, in terms of a 'story', and lots of well-grown plants. Most of the gardens I saw fit into those categories to a lesser or greater extent.

An orchard in one of the gardens reminded me of a problem I have in mine. A large apple tree in the middle of the back yard, quite close to the patio, is dropping apples by the hundreds, if not thousands. The apples are all over the ground, rotting. I'm afraid of attracting wasps, etc. I wish deer would come and eat the fallen apples, like the hostess of the aforementioned garden said happened in her orchard, but I think our dogs scare them away. Then there is the hazard of being pelted in the noggin by falling apples if you should be daring enough to be under that particular tree! The Master Gardener at that particular garden suggested that our tree should have been sprayed for the insects which are eating the seeds. Mother Nature is aborting the apples that will not have viable seed as a result of the insect infestation.

This is a massive old tree, however, and a spraying program as suggested every 10 days or so would be a little difficult. (Did I mention we have dogs, the vegetable garden is close by--downhill of any runoff, our well is almost underneath the tree, my Granddaughter plays in her wading pool under that tree, and I hate the thought of toxic chemicals as a rule?) Any suggestions, anyone?

Our wildly overgrown raspberry patch does have berries ripening now. We have enjoyed a handful now and then, but we are also being robbed by a cheeky bluejay! I don't mind that at all, actually.

Beside the raspberries, a creamy-white old-fashioned hollyhock is in bloom, and another of an unknown colour is about to bloom. We didn't plant them there of course, and once they make seeds, I hope to plant the seeds in some more suitable place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home