Sunday, November 13, 2005

chores

I have spent most of this weekend working with Ann on some of the chores related to getting the house (and ourselves) ready for winter.

Since Saturday was amazingly mild, we finished cleaning the windows upstairs and tried to sweep as much of the fallen leaves out of the eaves troughs as possible. In the process, one of the curtain rods in my bedroom, not secured into a stud, pulled out of the wall. Nothing for it but to take them all down. They were rather flowery anyway for my taste.

Now that the curtains are gone, my little room looks almost huge. Amazing how much "space" a large patterned fabric takes. Rearranging one's room is often very refreshing!

The curtains probably did a lot to help keep that room a little warmer, however, so I think I'll be putting plastic over the windows, except for one. I must have at least one window that I can open for fresh air and to hear the outdoor noises.

These last few days, the wind has sounded like a freight train roaring through the trees. Nearly all the leaves are gone. Only the weeping willow still has most of its leaves, the topmost branches just starting to turn yellow.

Some stunned fall flies are crawling out of the window frames and flying kamakaze-style into anything and everything. A few of those Japanese lady bugs are also crawling about the windows, particularly on the south side. They were such a nuisance a couple of years ago. A little moth was disturbed when I tidied up the woodpile a bit...where was my camera when I needed it??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home