Friday, October 06, 2006

tabouli variation


Sometimes one must have cravings because the body perceives a deficiency or a need for the boost. So, off I went into the garden and picked handfuls of parsley and cilantro and lovage. Now I know traditional tabouli is not the version that follows, but in my tabouli salad today, I used some toasted cracked wheat, finely chopped red onions, garlic, cucumber, celery and the herbs above. I also added some chick peas, and seasoned everything with some of my own red-wine herbal vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and some ground black and dried hot peppers to taste (my taste). Yummy! I often add chopped tomatoes, sweet peppers, radish etc, if I have some on hand, or the mood strikes.

4 Comments:

Blogger Hannele på Hisingen said...

It's happiness to have a own garden.

5:02 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds wonderful!
How did you make your own red-wine herbal vinegar?

7:21 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yum... I love those kinds of meals where you just kind of toss everything together and it ends up tasting wonderful! And now my tummy is growing... :)

6:48 p.m.  
Blogger Kati said...

For Andreas,Red-wine Herbal vinegar:
Into sterilized bottles, I put in sprigs of fresh marjoram, rosemary, a couple cloves of garlic (this part varies, but use lots of herbs, about 1 part herb to 2 parts vinegar) and bruised these a bit with a spoon. Then I pour in some red-wine vinegar. Do not heat. Cover. Let this sit for a couple of weeks. Strain if desired into clean bottles, if the vinegar tastes strongly enough of the herbs. If it seems weak, rebrew the same vinegar with fresh herbs. The bottles look attractive for a while with the herbs left in, but after a while they start to look pretty grey. I find the vinegar tastes great for a long long time. You can also try this with other types of vinegar.

4:26 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home