Tuesday, December 12, 2006

along the Fraser River

(note: some additional comments and editing done Dec 14)












Walking along the North Arm of the Fraser River, we were taking advantage of some sunny moments today, snatched between rain storms with damaging winds. Although it is such a busy river, full of human enterprises of all kinds, as you can see from the pictures of the rafts of logs, it has it's peaceful aspects, as well: ducks napping on floating logs near the shore, the symmetry of piers reflected in the water, trees and lawns and plantings along its banks, and paths for runners, walkers and their dogs...

Yesterday was a rainy day and a lot of damage was done by the winds to trees in many locations in the Vancouver area. While I have never actually been to Vancouver without having rain as well, I don't think it has rained sideways quite as much on any previous trip...An errand downtown took us to Denman & Georgia, just east of Stanley Park, where police were blocking the entrance to the Lions Gate Bridge Road. The reason, we found out, was the large number of branches and trees that had been knocked down throughout the park by the winds overnight.

On a residential street close to my parents' home, a large monkey puzzle tree is green only at the very top. Damage from the recent freak cold and snow (out of the normal experience of weather in Vancouver)? I was relieved to see, on another street, a smaller monkey puzzle tree, still green and thriving.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I envy you, Kati. Even though the weather seems to be heavy on your side of the world, you can experience it. At the moment I am a bit fed up with being inside all day, sitting at desks, coming back home in the darkness..
Thank you for those idyllic photos ( I prefer the german word "stimmungsvoll" for the expression on your photos, "idyllisch" has in my opinion more the meaning of "unscathed" nature)
Hope you understand, what I mean.

3:44 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your photos of the river. It is a river with so much history. What a nice visit you must have had.

When I first came to Maine, in the early 70's pulp wood still floated down the Kennebec to the mills. Nothing compared to the logs in your photos.

Great blog, I will be back.

5:42 p.m.  
Blogger PatL said...

Beautiful photos! Wow!

12:52 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home