Thursday, February 22, 2007

plans

ok, it's finally becoming a reality:

Within a few days, I should have my tickets in my hot little hands, the plans for my trip to Ethiopia finally confirmed. At least that's what I'm hoping. There have been so many weird misunderstandings and confusions about this for months now, I am having trouble believing that I am really going. I probably won't believe it until I'm on the plane lifting off from the airport in Toronto, on my way via Amsterdam and Khartoum to Addis Ababa.

I had hoped my son would be going with me on this trip -- I hope he'll be with me on my next trip.

Yesterday, I did my afternoon run in spring-like sunshine. It was warm. There was no wind. The snow was heavy with melt, great packing snow, great for snow fort construction and snow man building. Will that be an image of great contrast to the heat of Ethiopia or will it be a precurser to the cool mountain nights on the trekking portion of my trip?

Today, it's still pretty mild, relatively speaking, maybe 1-2 degrees Celsius, on the plus side of 0. It's snowing, sometimes so thick that I can't see the trees across the cornfield to the south of my house. Chickadees, juncos, bluejays, nuthatches and downy woodpeckers are visiting my feeders. The squirrels foiled at last, have to content themselves with what falls to the ground under the feeders.

I had a sleepless night, my mind hopping with imaginings, worrying about details and arrangements, trying to remember all the plans and precautions I might need, hoping for opportunities and experiences that this trip might offer.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Have a wonderful trip, Kati! I can't wait to hear all about your adventures when you return. :)

p.s. I was actually going to send you some seeds this week, but I'll wait until you come back so they don't sit.

3:16 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, is it time for the battery of shots yet?

Thanks for linking to me!

tf23

9:14 a.m.  
Blogger Kati said...

yeah, I got my shots on Valentine's Day then spent the evening complaining to my friend Mike -- a captive audience is good to have when you need to whine;)

11:38 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home