Sunday, July 15, 2007

not being sane

Sometimes you catch yourself doing things that you might not have done back when once upon a time you were sane. Now however, I realize that getting older is liberating. But then again, so is living way out in the country where your nearest neighbour is so far away they are not likely to see you doing things that in the city might get you locked away for, at the very least, indecent exposure.

I had been uploading photos to my Ethiopian flora blog yesterday when I got up to make myself a cup of tea (I'm on dial-up internet access, remember?), happened to glance out the window and there she was.

Picture this, a fifty-something year old woman dashing outside in pajamas and slippers (why? what do you wear when you are blogging?) into the pouring rain to try to photograph a deer in the yard. I was a little disappointed to only get one decent shot.

Meanwhile, I did not know that she would come to visit again. I had been just a bit critical with myself for not tidying up the fallen apples in the yard. They are attracting squirrels and wasps. It also makes for uncomfortable walking in that part of the yard under the apple trees, all those apples on the ground. Ever tried to walk on a floor covered with golf-balls? That's a little what it's like.
But it was those neglected apples that brought the deer back to thrill me this afternoon. If that is not a reminder to me to stop judging myself and allow myself to be more spontaneous in every moment, I don't know what is.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oooh... she's so pretty and graceful. :) Nice of her to take care of those apples for you, too.

10:57 a.m.  
Blogger Kati said...

Oh, I certainly hope she comes back, even if she doesn't manage all those apples!

11:18 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful photograph of this beautiful deer. I saw a roe deer up our countrylane last week but unfortunately I did not have my camera.
Sara from farmingfriends

4:16 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home