Monday, November 15, 2004

Art and Nature

Moon Phase: Waxing Crescent 20.9% of Full
Sun 14 Nov, 2004

My father spent a lot of time walking with us as kids in nature. Wherever we went, he observed the things around us--leaves, bark, stones--and talked to us about what we saw, teaching, teaching, teaching. As a child, I loved it; as a teenager, I found him terribly boring; now, I appreciate that he, more than anyone, taught me to look at and see the natural world around me.

I found a thoughtful article in Resurgence Magazine on-line about developing children's sensibility to nature through arts-based environmental education. In a world which often seems to be so negative, particularly when one reads the newspapers, it is refreshing to read about this world from a more positive and hopeful point of view.



Morisot, Berthe: Peasant Hanging out the Washing 1881 Oil on canvas 18 x 26 1/4" (46 x 67 cm)Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, Copenhagen

A sunny day like today with a light breeze would be ideal for drying clothes out on the line! I remember reading somewhere about the joys of that old-fashioned pleasure. I cannot imagine the silliness of by-laws that prohibit such an environmentally friendly practice. However, as much as I'd like to take advantage of doing some laundry today, I'll be taking my granddaughter out of the house. We'll see if we can find some chickadees to feed. In many places, they become so tame, they will land right on the hand to take sunflower seeds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home