Thursday, March 31, 2005

sky-blue corn flowers

Now I've never worn hats, but I have wanted to. I particularly love the little hats like a frittillaria blossom a la the era of the flappers.

So, here's a little laugh: Laurie, in her post of March 16, obviously doesn't appreciate the fun to be had with hats. Those women in the photos appear to be having a roaring good time!

I think Laurie needs to lighten up (relax, its not contagious, but yes, with luck, you are inevitably heading in that direction of older age as well, dear) (without luck--well...maybe that's why those ladies are laughing! they are alive, and they have not submitted themselves to torturous diets or surgeries to look younger. Or if they did, they have finally let themselves off the hook and and are allowing themselves to have FUN.) Remember "fun", Laurie?

There's still a huge part of me that cares what other people think, so I would probably hesitate to wear the hats too...but given the right mood, and a sunny day, I would probably feel wonderful!! Maybe that is one of the benefits of getting older. You just have fun and you don't give a damn anymore about what other people think.

Then again, before young children learn about adult rules of "proper" dress, they just have fun. I remember being shattered as a child to learn that what I thought was gorgeous, the adults thought ridiculous. I had spied some sky-blue corn flowers growing among my uncle's oats in a field and I picked bunches of them. Then I teased my hair (that was the 60's). Into my wonderful pouffy 'do, I tucked in as many corn flowers as I could. I thought I was so fabulous I was floating two feet off the ground as I ran to the house to show my mom and Aunt Hilkka. Their reaction? Do I need to tell you? Although they tried to stiffle their laughter, I was no fool. I could tell immediately that they thought I looked silly.

Unfortunately, their opinion mattered too much. Their ideas became a deeply etched part of my beliefs. And although to this day, I really think a pouffy 'do full of sky-blue corn flowers is Fabulous!, I wouldn't have the nerve to wear my hair that way in public.

Where's the joy in living like that! Damn it, I am going to plan a "pouffy-'do-with-corn-flowers-in-your-hair" Celebration! I'll keep you posted!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home