Saturday, November 05, 2005

where did October go?

I cannot believe we are already in November. It has been so unusual this fall, no heavy frost yet, mild day after mild day. Even though the green house is not heated, the tender things like the coleus are just fine in there. I brought in the New Zealand flax, the helichrysum, the sweet potato vine "Blackie", that South African plant...what was it? Sisiryngium? I also lifted the pelargoniums and a couple of the variegated impatiens out of the garden and they are happy in the greenhouse for the moment. Lets see, what else? I suppose the lavender seedlings should really have gone out into the garden, or into a cold frame...maybe I'll have time before we really do get frost. I did clean off most of the tender potted plants and brought them in off the deck, the Swedish ivy, the fuschias, the moses-in-the-cradle, the hibiscus, the asparagus fern, the rosemary. Some are in the greenhouse too, and some have returned into the house.

This mild weather is really, really unbelievable for our area of the country, at this time of year.

As late as last Thursday, I finally lifted the gladioli bulbs, not because we had had any killer frost or anything, but because I figure when we do, I will be so unaccustomed to cold that I won't want to be out there, digging up those bulbs. We still have some lovely gladioli in a vase on the dining room table.

Garlic and onion bulbs have gone into the ground, as have some tulip, crocus, hyacinth and ornamental onions. The squirrels are coming along right behind me and digging up the tulips, bold as brass. I also cleaned out some more of that overly abundant tawny daylily by the greenhouse and planted the lovely apothecary rose and some asiatic lilies.

Granddaughter had her 4th birthday party earlier in October, party, pin-the-tail-on-the-
donkey, cake, etc.

Ann and I tried to wash the upstairs windows that afternoon. Being older windows, some of them were quite difficult to get at. As the light started to fade, perhaps we got careless. Anyhow, the awful part of it all is that the ladder slid out from under Ann, and I watched from inside the house, horrified to see her fall. In the process, she has a small but very painful break in one of her ankle bones. She's been hobbling about on crutches all month.

The very last week of October, I went on a lovely road-trip with my friend Mike. More to follow on that!

Molly is packing on weight again, with Ann unable to walk as much as before. I started jogging around my meadows to try build up my stamina for skiing when winter comes. Molly comes along with the other dogs, but cannot keep up. Yesterday, we were nearly home when she collapsed, exhausted, like bullies are prone to do...right in the middle of the only mud-puddle around. That must have been so cooling that she was rejunevated almost immediately and did accompany me home without having to be carried -- or some such foolishness--but she was a very dirty dog...

During the heat of this past summer, one evening, when my youngest daughter and I went for a walk, we were nearly home when Molly lay down at the bottom of the last long hill and simply refused to walk anymore! Poor dog. I am more and more appalled as time goes on to see what man's "selective breeding" has done to these poor creatures. I can understand the desire for selective breeding, but with bullies, (and probably with any number of other species/breeds) it has simply gone too, too far.


Post a Comment

<< Home