Thursday, January 19, 2006

attempt at activism

So. I walk into the Starbucks() in Ajax and ask the handsome young Oriental man who served me if they have "organic free trade coffee"!! I didn't realize what I had said until he said, yes they have one brand of fair trade coffee, "Estima", I believe it was. He put no emphasis at all on the correction, but something in his eyes flickered. He knew that I realized that he knew that I had unintentionally asked for the Last thing in the world I would want (free trade vs fair trade). But he politely showed me a large bag of whole beans of the stuff. No, they didn't have a pot of it brewed...it is on the schedule to be offered in February (he rhymed off the dates). I said I would have liked to taste it, didn't buy the bag of coffee beans, thanked the young man and left.

I think I need to practice this activism thing more so I don't end up asking for what I don't want!! whah?

2 Comments:

Blogger Kati said...

Of course, baby steps :) As I don't frequent Starbucks anyway, the whole environment was foreign. I may be a teeny bit more aggressive at Tim Horton's as I'm more familiar with it.

3:32 p.m.  
Blogger City Hippy said...

Hi Kati

Thanks for joining in...can you email the specific store so I can add that to our stats...

Interesting to note the barista did not correct the error.

And as for Tim's make mine a double double with a kruller and a boston creme...mmmm

Namaste

Al

ps I live in london but lived in NS for 6 years and luuuuuurve Tim Hortons - although dont think they do any Fairtrade at all, which is not good ;)

8:50 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home