Thursday, January 19, 2006

attempt at activism

So. I walk into the Starbucks() in Ajax and ask the handsome young Oriental man who served me if they have "organic free trade coffee"!! I didn't realize what I had said until he said, yes they have one brand of fair trade coffee, "Estima", I believe it was. He put no emphasis at all on the correction, but something in his eyes flickered. He knew that I realized that he knew that I had unintentionally asked for the Last thing in the world I would want (free trade vs fair trade). But he politely showed me a large bag of whole beans of the stuff. No, they didn't have a pot of it brewed...it is on the schedule to be offered in February (he rhymed off the dates). I said I would have liked to taste it, didn't buy the bag of coffee beans, thanked the young man and left.

I think I need to practice this activism thing more so I don't end up asking for what I don't want!! whah?

3 Comments:

Blogger lauren said...

Hey, at least you tried! They're supposed to offer to French press a cup for you when it's not brewing (which is never...). Siel's site has much more information about this, but maybe next time you could take the next step and ask them to press a cup for you. Baby steps! :)

3:13 PM  
Blogger Kati said...

Of course, baby steps :) As I don't frequent Starbucks anyway, the whole environment was foreign. I may be a teeny bit more aggressive at Tim Horton's as I'm more familiar with it.

3:32 PM  
Blogger City Hippy said...

Hi Kati

Thanks for joining in...can you email the specific store so I can add that to our stats...

Interesting to note the barista did not correct the error.

And as for Tim's make mine a double double with a kruller and a boston creme...mmmm

Namaste

Al

ps I live in london but lived in NS for 6 years and luuuuuurve Tim Hortons - although dont think they do any Fairtrade at all, which is not good ;)

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home