Tuesday, March 21, 2006

green stuff & birds

Pine siskins at the bird feeder. They seem to travel in little groups, chattering amongst themselves.


The white breasted nuthatch moves very quickly up and down the branches, to and from the bird feeder, and didn't stay still long enough for me to get a decent photograph. Very quick to shy away if I moved, flitting about, at ease upside down or not, he kept up an indignant "whi, whi, whi, whi" to announce that I was intruding!

Bold and curious black-capped chickadee. Several gathered at the birdfeeder today.
Other bird visitors I saw today were flocks of red-winged blackbirds, a lone American tree sparrow, which I think was wintering here and will go northwards soon, and several Common grackles.


Mosses and grass on an old stump.
Ferns stayed green all winter under the snow.
Tips of some spring bulbs.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kati Parppei said...

For an amateur bird- and naturewatcher it has been somewhat frustrating to visit in North America - all those strange looking birds I don't recognise :)! Really, it was a bit surprising for me to realize the huge differences between the European and American fauna. I guess I had been thinking that since climate is about the same, the species would be the same too.

3:49 a.m.  
Blogger Kati said...

Oh, I know what you mean! Seeing some of the excellent bird photos by bloggers in Finland, the differences struck me immediately! I think you would find many plants here were imported from Europe, either intentionally or not, so they might be more familiar.

8:48 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My goodness those are lovely shots. I've been away from moss and lichens for seasons! The indicator species don't fare well in town.

1:46 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home