Tuesday, August 08, 2006

abundance soup

Inspired bygardenpath to make soup, I gathered my ingredients, most of them from my own garden:


No, the lemons (not, regrettably, from my garden) and the hops flowers did not end up in my soup! I confess I snacked on the little baby tomatoes as I prepared my meal. Yellow banana tomatoes, a couple red tomatoes (I forget the variety), green peppers, lovage, oregano, sage tricolor, Italian flatleaf parsley, purple and green basil, carrots, zucchini...

Oh, yes! I also threw in a couple of my small potatoes from the garden.

And a couple of onions from the garden...No, not that whole lot above, just 2-3 large ones. I also threw in some store-bought celery stalks. Then a branch or two of my potted rosemary and a couple bay leaves:

Everything was chopped up (except the herbs), thrown into a large pot and browned a bit in olive oil. Then I added some water, threw in the lovage, rosemary and bay leaves, and let it bubble away. I tossed in some beef flavored tempeh, chopped. When everything was cooked soft and tender, I added salt and pepper and the rest of the herbs (oregano, sage, parsley, basils) and turned down the heat to let the soup simmer while I prepared the rest of my meal. To serve it, I simply fished out the rosemary and the bay leaves, and checked for enough salt and pepper, then ladled it out into a big bowl. The yellow tomatoes are quite mild in flavor. Next time, I'd add more red tomatoes if I had some around.

Oh my yes. I have a lot left over. Into the freezer for another day!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds absolutely delicious, Kati! Those mild/sweet "banana tomatoes"... are they similar in texture to plum tomatoes? I'd like to plant some interesting tomatoes for canning next year, and that's why I ask.

8:41 a.m.  
Blogger Kati said...

Yes, not very juicy, nor meaty. I have grown other yellow tomatoes that I preferred. I got these from Richter's in Goodwood, Ontario. I have a better source of heirloom/interesting tomatoes which I'll post about.

8:53 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home