Monday, August 07, 2006

food idiosyncracies

A coworker recently at my paying job showed me some rather red and reportedly very itchy red spots on her inner arm that developed after some droplets of raw asparagus juice splashed onto her arm.

It turns out that she has an allergy. She loves to eat asparagus and has never suffered an allergic reaction from eating asparagus. However, the juice on her arm produced a nasty allergic reaction.

Then the conversation turned to what I assumed happens to everybody -- the change in the odour of one's urine after consuming asparagus. Turns out it does not happen to everyone.

Read here about interesting research on asparagus and beets and urine! (Would I kid you??)

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

"he change in the odour of one's urine after consuming asparagus. Turns out it does not happen to everyone."

Huh!

I heard from a dog trainer that it is thought that those dogs with gunky eye drippings are secreting the beet color through their tear ducts. Beet is used as filler and sweetener in a lot of dog foods. Beet trivia!

5:32 p.m.  
Blogger Kati said...

Really!! I find that interesting because of course my bullie Molly has awful tear-staining!

6:53 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home