Saturday, November 11, 2006

fall colour report: grey

I opted to walk/jog through the village of Sturgeon Point this afternoon, along what is locally known as 'Millionaire Row'. When I started out, it took a bit longer than usual to warm up. It was about 3 degrees Celsius and a fine drizzle was falling. The dampness crept up my back under my jacket. Brrrr. The wind was from the east. The splendors of the huge summer homes are largely lost on me. Don't get me wrong. I'd live in one in a heart beat if the opportunity arose.

But here's what really gave me a thrill. When I came around the point to the leeward side, here's what I saw. It paddled quickly further and further out into the lake. I can't be sure what it might be: perhaps a Bufflehead, Bucephela albeola? (photo enlarged and cropped) What do you think?

Misty ran ahead of me. About half way around the point, I lost her. She had taken a shortcut home, probably through the cornfield. When I made my way up the back part of the laneway up from the lake, she was at the house waiting for me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, huge amount of enlargement. You're prob. right about it being a bufflehead. We've had no sign of snow yet and I hope it stays that way for a long time. Low temps only in the 30's with 2-3 days near freezing. Keep us posted about what's coming our way.

1:15 p.m.  
Blogger Kati said...

Another week of reprieve with the occasional double digit temp (celsius), thank goodness. But when it does snow, I'd prefer lots of it and some honest cold. Good snow cover is good for the garden and when it stays cold, it all stays "cleaner" too.

3:38 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home