Monday, November 13, 2006

a non-consumer christmas

This article, A Far Cry From Christmas, by Satish Kumar, in Resurgence Magazine, has me wondering if I shouldn't make the radical step at last to call a halt to my own consumerist habits at Christmas.
"We need to move away from more and global to less and local; from accumulation
of unnecessary clutter to enjoyment of the good things in life like art, music,
friendship and free time. We need to shift from waste to frugality, from
consuming to making, from illusion to imagination, from desire to delight and
from consumption of natural resources to an appreciation of the natural world.
If we do that then Christmas will again be an occasion of great celebration
rather than an excuse for more consumption. And then again the secular and the
sacred, the material and the spiritual will be recognised as being two sides of
the same coin."

Doesn't that sound inspiring? I'm putting on my thinking hat. I'm calling a halt to consumerism in my own family. I'll let you know how that goes ;) !

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I love that... I'm sending it to all of my friends. (Like you said, the family will never buy it!)

My grandma tried to shock me this fall by saying that she was thinking about stopping her practice of giving stockings out to all of her grandkids. I think that I surprised her with an enthusiastic: "That's a GREAT idea, grandma! Why wait until next year? Start with this Christmas!"

8:23 p.m.  
Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

We try to keep a balanced approach with family & friends. Sometime a gift if something calls out. Sometimes its doing something together. Hubby & I come up with surprises to go do something we might not otherwise do, or a box with funny little things in it. or a card good for a do anything you want or nothing at all day. It's in coming up with something you know the other will enjoy or feel treated by. I enjoy the holidays but I don't go close to malls or most stores.

1:03 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I go to Second Hand :)

9:57 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds like a really cool idea. Getting others to buy in is the trick. Everybody's afraid of getting labelled cheap, scrooge, grinch, etc. It's all in how you pitch it I guess.

Gosh, I can't even speak about this without phrases like "buy in" and "pitch it". This consumer world has me well trained!

11:28 p.m.  
Blogger Kati said...

god forbid we should mess with Christmas, eh? Well, I'm trying to make a wee start here. So far, everybody is interested, but nobody wants to stick their neck out.

10:25 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home