Monday, May 28, 2007

what's happening?


Here's a happy colour combination, the silvery grey of the artemisia with the purple blooms of Ajuga reptans. This variety has purplish leaves.


The wild columbine in front of the foliage and climbing tendrils of a purple clematis, under my kitchen window. I don't know for sure the name of the clematis, probably a Jackmanii.


Pleasing spiky shapes of iris, this bunch near the acid green hops vine that climbs to an old bird house at the corner of the back deck.

The first of the iris to bloom. These unnamed iris were here, buried under blackberry brambles and oregano. I've moved and divided them and they seem to flourish quite well wherever I've put them!

I've realized that I love this particular shade of acid green. It used to be called "French Green" in my box of crayons, I think. Is it chartreuse? Love it with the purple-blue of the spiderwort blossoms!
The gorgeous deep purple columbine is scattered around the foot of the back deck and is seeding itself around and between the patio stones. As I find the seedlings, I'm lifting them and moving them to places where I'd prefer to see them appearing.

The last of the tulips around here. They were gathered from the woods and the oddest corners where, no doubt, the squirrels had planted them after digging them up from where humans might have planted them once upon a time. The squirrels' ideas about the aesthetics of garden design differ a bit from those of most humans I know.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Ki said...

The wild columbines are great! But I especially like the gold/green leafed spiderwort. Such an interesting combination of colors.

7:42 a.m.  
Blogger Randa said...

I really enjoyed your photos, Kati! I do the same thing with the columbine which pop up in odd places -- I love them so much that I transport them to a place where they are less likely to get trodden, and where they will flourish (I hope).

8:23 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home