Tuesday, May 15, 2007

making progress

Work in progress, old tin wash tubs and buckets that I am filling with annuals and tender plants I've overwintered, to decorate the side porch.

The flowerbed under my kitchen window. Those tulips thrill me. In my usual forgetful style, I don't remember the variety, but hopefully I've recorded the name on some scrap of paper somewhere...
I am making some progress in revamping the flower bed beside the thyme walk. You can see where the chipmunk has been "helping" to dig beside the Tradescantia hybrid 'Sweet Kate'.

What else is in there? Let's see: Geranium sanguineum 'Album', an unnamed peony, Digitalis ambigua 'Carillon', Salvia x sylvestris 'Mainacht', some unnamed columbines of purple and pink, Hosta sieboldiana 'Elegans', Juniperus virginiana 'Blue Arrow', Delphinium elatum Magic Fountains hybrid 'Sky Blue', Astilbe x ariendsii 'Bridal Veil', Iris sibirica 'Butter and Ice', Euonynus fortunei 'Emerald Gaiety', and a variegated hosta (I'll try to dig up the name for you later -- remind me), and something wild and minty that I transplanted and that has no name yet either.
I think these beds still need another shrub near the peony, maybe some astrantia, lilies, a grass, and more geraniums. Maybe I'll divide some of my artemisia from another spot and put some of that in there too...And I was thinking that the lone pink phlox from beside the garage would enjoy a sunnier location here.
The thyme walk is not complete, but slowly, as I find suitable stone, building it will continue. Off to the right of the frame, is an ugly gap where I dug out a bunch of tawny daylilies that were acting like thugs, taking over everything else. Ripping them out left a bare spot reminiscent of a construction zone. That will need to be seeded with grass or perhaps patched with some sod.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

hmmm... do the plans for the thyme walk indicate that you just might stay where you are for a bit after all?

9:45 p.m.  
Blogger Kati said...

Who knows? I'm still working on Ethiopia, but I can't keep my hands out of the dirt in the meantime ;). It keeps me sane.

11:07 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home