Wednesday, May 09, 2007

in the woods

We are waiting for a rain. Yes, we are. A neighbor of mine dropped by today and asked me if I get morels here and if he might pick some. It seems he hadn't had any morels for quite a while. Well, how could I say no to a lover of morels? I do get some morels growing at the south edge of my back yard. The time is just about right for them to be showing up now and they will probably pop up after the next rain. Let's hope we get lots.

Hepatica, the white form.

Hepatica americana


Bloodroot, Sanguinaria canadensis

Some flowers in the woods are very subtle, like this tiny greenish-yellow bells on a shrub. I don`t know what the shrub is...

Trout lily or Dogtooth violet, Erythronium americanum


Trillium, Trillium grandiflorum

Mayapple or Mandrake, Podophyllum peltatum, not yet in bloom

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

We are waiting for the rain, too. Some places around us received a little the other day, but not us. :(

Gorgeous pictures. Those trilliums... well, my Dad called me last night: "Grandma says you need to get your ass back home immediately." We have the kind of relationship where this just made me laugh and answer, "Oh yeah? Why is that?" His answer: "Granny says that the woods is just exploding with flowers, and she knows you love it this way so you need to come home and see it!" (Grandma lives next door to my parents.)

To make a long story short... your picture is doing a wonderful job of "taking me back" since I can't actually make the drive this weekend. :)

8:21 p.m.  
Blogger Kati said...

Oh, Kim, you must get out to see them. The leaves are just busting out on the trees and soon the trilliums will do their disappearing act!!

6:14 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home