Saturday, May 12, 2007

bewitched tree

Once in a while something in nature catches your eye and makes you wonder about what is unseen. It's as if, when you are not looking, some of the trees might dance, that when you are not there to see, the gods and goddesses, fairies, goblins and other mythical creatures amongst the trees drop their disguises...



Case in point, the tree above in the cropped version of the photo of the trees across the cornfield south of my house. I keep staring at this tree, convinced that when it plays "freeze" it is not in the same position it was in before.

It reminds me of a painting by Akseli Gallen-Kallela of a character from the collection of mythic runes called the Kalevala. The photo below comes from Virtual Finland`s site where you can find out more about the Kalevala.

painting by Akseli Gallen-Kallela, Kullervo`s Curse, 1899.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I really like the connection you've made between that tree and AG-K's Kullervo!

1:32 a.m.  
Blogger Hayden said...

I've never escaped my childhood notion that trees dance when we aren't looking. When I first read the Hobbit and learned about the Ents it was as if someone had described my secret world, where everything is imbued with life and spirit.

8:52 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home