Saturday, June 14, 2008

new beginnings

So! The deal was, if the supers didn't think it would mean more work for them, my landlord is okay with me putting in a garden on the grounds of our wee apartment building. Tee hee hee! As the supers detest mowing the lawn almost as much as I detest lawns, everybody will eventually be very happy, right? (that is if I had endless energy and money to totally replace the boring and unnatural monoculture of lawn as I'd like to!)
As you can see, it's a monstrosity of a building for someone who has been accustomed to thinking about gardening in front of much more modest houses until now. Whatever can I plant -- no, that's not the problem! Endless possibilities, aren't there, but the real question is: what can I afford to plant that will make any impact at all -- generous pass-along plants from my gardening friends not withstanding???
A completely delightful passtime, lately, has been mulling over the possibilities...This is a south-facing facade...
In the meantime, here's what I've done.

Rosa 'Fairy Tale', a pink floribunda

Heuchera americana 'Dale's Strain'

Geranium vivace 'Rozanne'

Miscanthus sinensis 'Dixieland'

Echinacea (?) a pass-along pink from my friend Irene

Lavendula angustifolia 'Munstead'

Thunbergia, black-eyed Susan vine

and then in the pots, Salvia officinalis 'Tricolor', deep yellow million bells, purple fountain grass, Sedum x 'Frosty Morn', Strobilanthes 'Persian Shield', and Verbena 'Lanai Peach'

I don't know how to be modest in my enjoyment of what I've done! It gives me a little thrill every time I come up my road towards my building and whenever I step out the front door, I'm pleased as anything all over again!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home