Thursday, November 18, 2004

hope

I was interested in the 'rants' by Tom Spencer on his site Soul of the Garden, and by Jeff Pitcher on his on-line journal. Both writers expressed great sadness in the aftermath of the just-past US elections. Here are a couple of thoughts I had.First, a discrepancy between our ideals and our dark places is a part of each of us, as well as our societies. If we could find a way to bridge the gap between ourselves (whom, we presumably approve of) and the other (whom we often fear and condemn), there might be less ignorance and fear.

I've heard Deepak Chopra be quite eloquent on this subject, how violence against the other actually weakens us. It reminded me of a poem I read recently that made me smile at our humanity. It's by the Canadian poet, Barry Dempster: Disappearing Grandmothers.

Second, how to move forward and find a way to move positive change forward? I accidentally stumbled onto this by Starhawk. Only Poetry Can Address Grief. I have loved the writing of Starhawk for many years.

Current Music: Demis Roussos: We Shall Dance

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home