Thursday, November 25, 2004

technology, ice crystals and lemon-ginger tea

Woke up this morning, feverish, head congested, every muscle aching. I have decided, logical or not, to blame it on standing outside with the dogs in the rain and wind when I take them outside to do their business.

We walk across the drive sometimes and up along the west stretch of the yard beside the row of spruce and the old maple. There are volumes in the trails of scents the dogs can detect. I wonder what the stories are. Sometimes they just stand, heads up into the wind, sniffing.

Yesterday morning, a large flock of Canada geese rose from the quarry to the south of me, honking a disorderly double line across the sky towards the west, then south. I watched them for several minutes until they were out of sight. There is a mystery to the flight of such large birds, a wildness that calls to some deep, melancholy place in the heart.

This morning, there are ice crystals on every branch and blade of grass, like someone carelessly threw millions of clear beads or shards of glass about everywhere!

This morning, I enjoyed reading some quotes on The Bookish Gardener's blog from Henry Mitchell on gardening.

Had some trouble with my old kitchen phone. I have replaced the cord to the handset several times, but I think at this point, that will no longer work. I think it's time to buy a new phone for the kitchen. I can't remember how long I've had this phone, that's how old it is!! Well, maybe that is not the best indication, since I often can't remember things I bought yesterday...

I am looking forward to going to Toronto for One Of a Kind show on Saturday with some of my friends. I hope I'm feeling better by then!

I have decided that the best cure would be a hot, hot Sauna, followed by a big mug of ginger-lemon tea with honey and a head to toe massage. Since I don't feel like leaving the house today, I don't suppose the critters could be taught to provide those services?? Ah well. It's a nice thought. I can do the cup of lemon-ginger tea with honey, though.

I have been doing some knitting. The pattern for the striped mittens I started is not working out (I think) so I tore it back down and started on the colourful hat instead. I might try the mittens again later. So far, the hat is going well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home