Friday, December 31, 2004

Here's to failing (failed?) memory!

When you read something written so well, something that in a word or two describes a neurosis that you thought only you had, a failing that nobody else in the whole world could possibly suffer, it kinda makes you glad that you just might be a part of the funny human race after all.

I read constantly, but can't remember much of what I have read. So imagine, there is someone else out there who has the same problem, but has turned his lemon into lemonade. So Many Books reviews The Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby, and quotes him as saying:

he was depressed for a while because he realized that he'd forgotten most
of everything he has ever read. But he "bounced back: I am now cheered by the
realization that if I've forgotten everything I've ever read then I can read
some of my favorite books again as if for the first time."

That alone is enough to make me want to run out and buy the book!

I promised to report on my further inquiries about the house-share possibility. Ann suggested I bring the dogs to get acquainted with hers. And I remembered to write down the measurements of my piano, etc. We had a nice quiet chat. I was again struck by her calm nature and her centredness (if that is a word), even though Ann was under the weather due to a cold. I realized that I still have difficulty just being, thinking that I must do something most of the time.

As we were talking, a huge owl flew up from behind an outbuilding to sit in a tree not too far from the house!

Another plus was Ann's confession that she thinks housework is a bore and would like to hire a housekeeper. Yeah!

I'm still worried that Molly's puppy-ness is too much to cope with, but hopefully she will settle down sooner rather than later.

Anyway, we made tentative plans for me to start moving in around the weekend of the 22nd so that she can make plans for her trip, knowing someone will be around to look after her dog, etc.

I went looking for boxes at my usual best source for mid-size strong boxes that can handle all my books. However, the girl at the liquor store said they would be out of boxes until after the New Year. Well! Now what? I'm trying not to panic over all the packing, cleaning out, sorting, throwing out, selling and giving away I must do in the next few weeks! OK, I'll admit it, I'm panicking a little...

How can I be daydreaming of buying more books and CD's when I should be thinking of packing everything up?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home