Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Power & Peril

I'm lending a book entitled "Power and Peril, the Catholic Church at the Crossroads" by Higgins and Letson to a sweet friend at my paying job. (a dumb cliche popped into my mind this morning about 'labouring for the bread that perisheth' ) It will be interesting to hear his opinion of it.

My background being fundamentalist protestant, I found it interesting how far-reaching the catholic traditions are even in protestant religion which presumably broke with so many catholic ideas centuries ago?

However, I confess, that traditional rituals appeal to me, and the community of a congregation is something that I miss in my life, to the extent that I have contemplated joining a church...weird, huh? There is something about a congregation joining in the singing of an uplifting hymn, for example. But, my question is, will I get angry and impatient again at senseless sermons on shallow subjects, at rants on illogical dogmas? I have fantasies of a church like the one Anne Lamott encountered as she describes in her book, "Travelling Mercies".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home