Tuesday, December 14, 2004

aches & pains

Here I am again, aching all over. What is this?

Last night I returned home to find the barnyard light weakly throwing out no light at all. I stumbled towards the house, delighted to find the path to my back door had been plowed of snow by someone very, very kind!

But just as I reached the back step, I misjudged the height of the snow that had slid off the roof into a furrow, tripped and again fell face first into the back step. In my arms, I had some Christmas presents I had purchased on my way into town. They hit the step with an ominous clunk. No harm done, thankfully. Only a container of cashew nuts broke open and spilled itself into one of the bags.

The demonstrations of joy the dogs expressed, as is their habit, were not well received by me last night, as I struggled past their exuberance to deposit what I hoped were undamaged Christmas gifts on the counter out of their reach.

The stars were spectacular last night, once I organized myself enough to take the dogs out for their walk. The Big Dipper was hanging quite upside down in the sky, spectacular! I woke once more at about 4:30 am, because the dogs were restless. Since I was awake, I took them out anyway and was treated to the sight of Orion hanging just above the horizon to the west.

But this morning, it was extremely difficult for me to wake up. Everything hurts so badly that I just wanted to curl up deeper under the covers and never come out. For a long time, I just lay there, assessing all the bits that hurt, shins, thighs, hips, lower and middle back, upper arms, back of the neck....To me it's bewildering that it all seems to be muscular pain vs joint pain. The discouraging part is that searching for some answer to what all this pain is from, would no doubt involve many visits to doctors and many tests that I'm not sure I could endure. The pain being so non-specific, and because I have such a hard time seeing any pattern to it, I would feel like I'm trying to convince an unsympathetic and suspicious doctor of something he/she is predisposed to believe is all in my head.

It all makes me want to just yell like Job, "Why hast Thou forsaken me?"
I'm determined to keep on. I tried to eat a good breakfast and had a couple soothing cups of herbal tea.

The dogs would have loved a good romp in the snow. They kept taking crazy lunges back and forth, nearly turning somersaults at their delight in the snow. Molly, the voracious eater, kept chomping on any clumps of icy snow she came across...But it's too cold for me right now. Maybe, on Thursday, when I don't have to think of conserving my energy to go in for a shift at my paying job, I'll get dressed warmly in my winter boots, etc.,
and take the girls for a long walk in the back fields.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home