Friday, December 03, 2004

balancing

Well, it seems balance is the key. Yesterday, I spent an enjoyable hour reading Rosemary Gladstar's book on herbal remedies for the family. I started to realize that all the awful symptoms that I had thought were a cold coming on, are probably related to being pre-menopausal. All right, all you squeamish men out there just skip today's post.

She has a chapter on men in her book, and the feeling I got after reading it is that to RG, men are a mystery. A lovely doc I work with said he thinks we must really be different species. We think we speak the same language etc. but it really ain't so, is it?

I felt much better about life after the calming writing of RG and actually got a little laundry done.

So in the evening, I made myself a pot of Changing Woman Tea from Sweet Dove Herbs, and read some more of RG. I have a little rose scented sugar that I made this summer, so I put a little teaspoon of that in my tea as well. Yummy!

Rose scented sugar is really, really easy to make. Just as your best scented old-fashioned roses open up, take the petals and layer them with sugar in a jar with a tightly fitting lid. The sugar takes up the aroma from the rose petals, and when the blossom is just opening up, is when the rose petals have the most scent. I've used rose petals from blossoms that were just about to shatter however, with decent results just the same. The sugar does tend to clump afterward because it absorbs some moisture from the rose petals, but that is a minor problem, because the sugar that results is so beautifully scented of roses. But never, never use roses that have been sprayed with pesticides. The sugar will absorb the pesticides and then you will ingest them when you use the sugar.

I have been horrified all over again by the callousness of the CEO's of big corporations like Union Carbide who might have initially reacted like human beings to the tragedy of Bhopal 20 years ago, but now have retreated behind lawyers, blaming the victims and protecting the interests of investors. I think companies like Union Carbide should be made to obey the same level of safety regulations that they have in the U.S. or better when they build plants in 3rd world countries. Presumably that would make investing in those plants much less attractive because the costs would probably go up. Big surprise.

There is apparently a documentary that has just come out about the Bhopal tragedy. But after 20 years, it is a given that we have learned nothing, at least nothing that will guarantee that something like this will never happen again. The only thing we have learned is that too many of these multinational corporations are willing to sacrifice thousands and thousands of lives, this generation and the next and the next, for the interests of the investors. They act like sociopaths without a conscience or empathy. I did expect some sympathy for at least the poor human beings they kill and maim, not really expecting them to care about the ugliness they build as they destroy the beauty of the natural world wherever those factories go up. But I did read somewhere that that is the true nature of evil: the absence of empathy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home