Monday, November 29, 2004

uncooperative weather

Why is it so dry and mild today, when yesterday, when I might have had more time, it was pouring rain, windy and miserable? There are still things to do in the garden, mostly cleaning up, but I haven't had a moment when my inclination, time and weather coincide.

I have concluded that I need to find new lodgings, somewhere smaller and cheaper, but where I can still garden. So the search begins again.

I did get to the One of A Kind show in Toronto with two of my dearest friends, Kim and Connie. We saw all sorts of wonderful designs and creations-- too many to count.

One of the artist's work I had seen before in Warkworth. His name is Blake Richardson. I much preferred his "sculpture" to the prints. The sculptures were rocks found in nature with just the barest possible hints of lines of paint added to bring out an image in the rock. Looking at his art work, I got such a wonderful feeling of mystery and peace.

Our collective favorite was the cranberry Christmas pudding at Cranberry Creek. With their buttery sauce on top, it was melt in your mouth delicious. We were tempted to go back again and again for more "samples", like the silly french fry add on tv.

It was interesting to see so many food related booths at a One of a Kind craft and artisan type show. It just goes to show that good food is something of an art to make well, and is to be savoured and enjoyed as much as any art form, another sensual experience.

I have finished four of the beaded stars I plan to take to our spinning group meeting Dec. 8. I had better get busy!

I'm looking for sources of inspiration and pictures/directions so that I can make some Finnish Christmas decorations--as per my roots. I will have to do some investigation. Some of the artisans at the OOAK show did make figures of Christmas 'santas' that look like my memory of the traditional Finnish 'joulupukki'.

A site I found inspirational this week came to me via an eclectic garden. Candlegrove is full of many ways to create a celebration of the season, with some historical background to the many symbols of the season.

I am looking forward to a week off at Christmas from my paying job. So, celebrations are in order. We haven't had time to discuss this yet among me and my children, you know, the decisions, whose house, when, etc.

My mother left a message on my answering machine, where are you, you are never home...I really don't know why I don't want to call her back. Is it because I feel I should be reporting some sort of successes to her? I know she wants me to go out to Vancouver to visit, but I don't have the money for that at all, right now. They have offered to pay my way, but that makes me feel even more uncomfortable. Sigh. In some ways, I have figured out some aspects of the difficult relationship I have with my parents, but at times, (even at my age!!) I don't have a clue where my feelings are coming from.

When I do go to Vancouver to visit, I think what I enjoy the most is going for walks down along the Frazer river with my Dad. I enjoy going for walks with him anywhere, actually. My mom is the city gal, who loves shopping, whereas with my Dad, it's a love of nature that I share.

I do worry, I know they are getting older and each time I see them they seem a bit more fragile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home