Monday, April 04, 2005

the basement is wet

There are a couple of spots in the basement that are leaking. A thin stream of water is crossing the basement floor and collecting in a couple of depressions in the concrete. What to do? What to do?

The weekend was grey and depressing. It snowed and rained and snowed, heavy wet stuff. It melted only a little slower than in fell, so, this morning we did have some snow on the ground. On Friday, I had spied the pale green tips of ?crocus, ?scilla, poking out of the ground in droves at the front of the house, but Sat and Sun were way to wet to work outside.

I was consumed with daydreaming about gardening all weekend. I pored over catalogues, revisited drawings I have made over the years of possible plant groupings, etc. Although I did manage also to finish unpacking my dried herbs, teas, oils, and flour and sugar, etc., and I did sort them out and put them away in the kitchen cupboards, most of the time this weekend, I spent thinking, thinking, thinking about gardening, imagining this here, or that there. Last night I was exhausted!

I finally stopped...or tried to. The wheels on the brain don't have very good brakes! I laid a fire in the fireplace, had myself a glass of wine, and tried to stop thinking!

Finally, I decided it can't be done. I went to bed with the newest Richter's catalogue and kept on circling with my pen the listings in the catalogue of the plants I want or need...until the old eyelids got heavy.

I had to laugh this morning. In trying to find some legal documents I had mis-filed, I ran across stacks and stacks of more gardening related stuff: newspaper clippings, brochures, old catalogues, old drawings I had made over the years...My mind is consumed by gardening!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home