Thursday, July 14, 2005

hadrian's wall

Insanity struck on Tuesday! It was hot, and maybe it was also the vapors of the millions of rotting apples under that tree in the back yard. I spent a little time raking them up and dumped a wheel-barrow full of apples onto the compost pile at the bottom of the garden.

Did I mention that they might be falling off the tree because we have are not on a spraying program? The apple tree is aborting the seed that is no longer viable because it is being eaten by bugs? Anyway, that's the theory I'm operating under at the moment.

Oh yes, back to the insanity of Tuesday. Well, then I started looking at the pile of rocks that has accumulated in the re-doing of beds around the house. Lots of rocks. So I decided to make a rock wall along the extension to the older part of the house, approximately 30 feet long, withing which would be a flower bed eventually against the foundation of the house.

The insane part came in also because of the heat or due to it...With the humidex at who knows what and temperatures above 30 degrees C., I sweated buckets. I did drink lots of water, but by about 5 o'clock in the afternoon, I could not remember the word for Thursday, although the idea was still clear in my head....

I did use up nearly all the rocks and the wall is about 10" high, about 3 courses of rocks. It needs a top course, but no doubt we'll find lots more rocks as the other beds get developed. Besides, rocks seem to rise by some mysterious force in the vegetable garden. As I weed and hoe, there they are. How they appear is a mystery, since I dug and double dug, removing a great number of large rocks from most of the beds before I planted earlier. Is there a rock-gremlin in there??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home