Saturday, August 26, 2006

brash or bashful

A while back I read several gardening bloggers who were discussing how they used colour. I think it was Kim who said she used to use a more ethereal colour palette of blues and pinks and has now evolved into a gardener who uses bolder colours. I think she might have even had a link to an online quiz...

Anyway, that thought has been tumbling about in my mind, picking up lots of cobwebs as it rolled around. Today, as I looked at some of the photos I have taken of the garden, it came to me that looking at some of the closeups I have -- they are full of colour, lush, bold -- anyone might be forgiven for thinking that the whole garden is like that.

While I wish it was, wishing don't make it so! No. No, I'm not greedy for bloom, actually, because I love foliage too -- witness the "icecream cone" pots on the back deck, which are mostly foliage. And then, there's the thrill of finding one or two small, delicate, long-awaited blooms, like the blooms of the clematis which bloomed for me for the first time this year. Anybody who sees only big and brash would not see these gems at all!

BTW, the hummingbirds are out there again, their aerial battles so swift that it is almost not possible to follow their flight!

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm thinking that Stuart had posted a quiz (or a short essay) that made me think about how I use color and why.

Like you, I tend to show my lush and bright photos online more... but I do have the quiet spaces in my garden as well. Don't you think that those bold vignettes heighten your delight in the small delicate blooms, and vice-versa? I think that they play off each other in that way for me.

One thing I will have to disagree with you about, though, is your assessment of your ice cream pots. Even though they are all foliage, I think that they are still lush, bold, and full of colour! :) Gorgeous.

8:54 p.m.  
Blogger Sigruns German Garden said...

Hi Kati, lovely photos! This Pensisetum rubrum ist not winterhardy, what do you do with it in winter?

Sigrun

10:54 p.m.  
Blogger Kati said...

Thanks for your thoughtful observations, Kim! That's a lot of what gardening is about, isn't it, that tension we create between artificial and natural, control and abandon, contrast/harmony,etc.

Sigrun, the penisetum is new for me this year. I'll try to over-winter it in the greenhouse -- if I can find someone to service the heater at not too great an expense.

10:05 a.m.  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

There's not a lot of "lush, bold and full of color" here at present, so it's nice to see your flowers.

Is the clematis one of the texensis hybrids like 'Duchess of Albany' or 'Etoile Rose'? It's lovely!

3:32 p.m.  
Blogger Jenn said...

Do you know what fuschia that is?
Gorgeous!

7:17 p.m.  
Blogger Kati said...

oops. I'll have to see if I can find the names of the clematis and the fuschia for you, annie and jenn...

12:06 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home