Thursday, August 24, 2006

pugnacious

Here is a link to a great article: "What Great American Gardeners Do Not Do". Substitute "Canadian" or "Finnish" or "English" or whatever you are, but read it. Being a great lazy gardener, I so very glad to find out that the way I garden (mostly), is good for the environment and all of us!

Um...you can see the hummingbird, right? One of these days, I will get a picture of her when she is eye-ball to eye-ball with me.

What a perfectly lovely day! A pair of hummingbirds spent more time chasing each other off than feeding. For such pretty feathered jewels, they sure are aggressive! I seem to have only the females of the Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Archilochus colubris, here. But, as my Peterson guide-book describes them, they are pugnacious. Trying to catch a photo of them is something else, however, even though at times they are hovering only 2-3 feet from me in the garden, often buzzing right in my ear!

Once I spy one outside my office window, tiptoe out camera ready, the humming bird often comes up to about a metre and a half from me right at eye level and hovers there, looking right at me, as if it is quite ready to chase me off too. But clumsy me, by the time I fiddle with the camera and am ready to take its picture, the hummingbird has whirred off and away at lightning speed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home