Monday, August 28, 2006

hard work


This grass, growing beside the laneway is so pretty. I have always admired the flowers, and now the seed-heads. No idea what it is however, even though it is quite abundant.

Mowing the lawn today, there was a small moment when I said to myself: I think I'm liking this! But don't go spreading that around, ok? Because for years I have said, I hate mowing the lawn....

Anyhow, I was about 9/10 ths done when I ran out of gas. It was time for a break anyway, so after a big drink of water, I thought for a change of pace, I'd get those weeds between the patio stones.

From there it just kind of progressed to weeding the newly planted English ivy under the big maple. And then I started thinking about the bed in the middle of the grass in the back that has all the tawny daylily in it. The thyme walk will eventually go right past it to the greenhouse. Well, thinking about it, before I knew it, I was moving things around, digging up the daylily and getting rid of it in the compost pile, moving the geraniums to the edge of the patio for now, moving a peony, planting a variegated euonymus and a hosta.

As I got rid of the daylily, I discovered lots of tulip and daffodil bulbs! They never really bloomed all that well there because they were buried awfully deep and competing with the huge daylily.

But there were an awful lot of bulbs to find new homes for. At one point, thinking : oh, here's a nice spot for some tulips, I nearly dug up some tulips that were already in that spot. I had forgotten they were there. Oh dear.

Covered in dust and dirt, sweating, my back aching something awful, I came at supper-time, very pleased with myself. That bed is nowhere near done. Those daylilies and the creeping bellflower still must be dug out of about half of the bed ( as I envision it will be some day). The creeping bellflower is in the lawn too, which might be a problem down the road -- but that's a problem for another day.

In the meantime, a bath and good night's sleep will take care of the back ache -- provided I can sleep what with my imagination going into overdrive picturing how that bed will look someday!

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

ah... I love those days when before you know it you've worked your way around the garden, pulling weeds and filling your head with plans! :)

3:32 p.m.  
Blogger Carol Michel said...

Sounds like a great day, where you were in "the zone", the "gardening zone". Sort of like when runners get that runner's high. But did you really throw the day lily into the compost bin?

5:26 p.m.  
Blogger Kati said...

Oh Carol, I certainly did throw the lily on the compost pile, where even as I speak, I'm sure it is continuing to grow and will soon take over! It does grow wild in these parts of Canada and in other parts of the yard, I am still letting it have it's way :)

12:51 p.m.  
Blogger Randa said...

I laughed to read this, Kati. It's a page out of my life!!!

2:55 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home