Monday, August 28, 2006

identity revealed



Fuchsia triphylla is what I have ( Jenn wanted to know) planted in three hanging baskets along the "back" porch. I think the variety is most likely "Thalia" . It's identified as "Thalia" here too (you might have to click on 'August' to view the Plant of the Month for Aug 2004) even though I think I remember the tags saying "Firecracker". I think "Firecracker" has greener leaves with white. The lobelia got torn up by winds and dried out, but it's trying to make a come-back in the cooler weather.

I was able to over-winter the fuschia by potting them up and keeping them on a table a couple of feet from a west-facing window (indirect light). They did get a bit leggy though -- I just can't bear to cut it back because I'd have to cut off buds and blooms...They will get cut back soon anyhow as they are about to be brought inside.

Our evenings are cool already. One night last week, when I stepped outside to let the dogs out for the last time before we all went to bed, I could see my breath. That is a sign of what's to come.

3 Comments:

Blogger MariaJ said...

Hei Kati
Kiitos vierailusta blogillani. Minulla oli tämä sama fuchsia (verenpisara) muutama vuosi sitten. Lobeliaa en enää halua kun aina se kuolee pois keskikesällä. Täällä on edelleen hyvin lämmintä, elämme vuosisadan parasta kesää täällä. Ei edes tunnu yhtään syksyltä.

1:12 p.m.  
Blogger Jenn said...

Thanks!

I overwintered fuschia last year, too. I just chopped them back when I brought them in, and they were blooming again in February.

It was nice, blooms in February.

5:01 p.m.  
Blogger Kati said...

Hi Maria! I've been hearing about the extremely warm weather in Finland. I love warm weather myself, but I also read that a lot of gardens in Finland are suffering from a lack of rain. Yet, I don't think I'm quite ready to face the coming winter.
Hi Jenn! Yes the blooms in mid winter are a nice surprise, aren't they?

12:27 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home