Friday, September 08, 2006

thunderstorms & rainshowers

While I was trying to get a bit of work done in the garden this afternoon, the forecast thunderstorms rumbled through like a fast commuter train. As I heard the approaching thunder from the west, I kept hoping it would pass north or south of here, the way the storms consistently did last summer, but no. The wind came up, the dogs started barking, and it got quite dark. I brought the dogs inside just in time, even as big fat rain drops started to spit down.

It has passed on as suddenly as it blew through, with a few lingering rumbles, and some threatening licks of lightning along the back end of the thunderclouds storming on eastwards. The rain stopped, the sun came out, it rained some more. The scent of the air is thick, damp and green.
The rain stopped again and I think I will venture back outside, even though I hear more rumbling in the west. I am working on that new mixed border that will be alongside the thyme walk. More tawny daylily and creeping bellflower to dig out. More mystery bulbs (?daffodils) to retrieve. I'm about 2/3 along in getting rid of the sod in the area I envision becoming my new border, full of lovely shrubs, bulbs and perennials.

Want to see the progress I've made? You think it looks sad? Not if you could imagine, the way I do, the way it will look. I will be altering the shape it is now, getting rid of that curving bit to the right, so that it will ultimately be a rectangle. Perhaps another bed parallel to it eventually, separated by a gravel walkway between the two stones I put at the edge of the patio, with an arbor at the end? What do you think? Oh! I love daydreaming about how the garden might look someday.

Meanwhile, the vanilla grass, Anthoxanthum odoratum, (also known as 'sweet vernal grass') I planted in the bed by the "back" door is taking over. Hmnnn. I had no idea it was such a spreader. That tin laundry tub, that is so useful now in catching the daylily roots, could be a container for the grass. I wonder how the grass would overwinter in the container...hmmmmnn. .. I've got another tin tub like that, someplace around here. Maybe the pair of tin tubs planted with the vanilla grass to keep it contained, with some spring-flowering bulbs... By the way, it's one of the favorite grasses Molly loves to chew upon whenever she can.

According to the description in the Richter's catalogue, vanilla grass pollen does bother people with hayfever. The "hair of the dog", ie, a tincture of its flowers in wine is supposed to bring immediate relief.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Do you have any pictures of the vanilla grass? I have allergies, but it still sounds like something I would like to plant--especially if it does indeed smell like vanilla.

12:43 p.m.  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Well, Kati, I just looked at your 'Wish List' and what do I think? I think that to fit in all those plants you'll be doing a lot of digging.

Actually, the second bed running parallel, with a gravel path and an arch, sounds very fine to me - and it will be a lovely place for a stroll when there's no thunder.

Vanilla grass won't go on my wish list. One reason I like St Augustine grass is that it's one of the few grasses that doesn't make me sneeze.

Annie

8:26 p.m.  
Blogger Kati said...

Oh, the wish list is Gi-Normous! Never will I cram everything into the space I have. But I had a hell of a lot of fun making the list! As to the vanilla grass, I'll try to post a picture of it soon...I'm still having a lot of trouble uploading photos with Blogger.

10:33 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home