Saturday, September 02, 2006

purple sage

The whole group of plants called "sage" are numerous and interesting. Besides this, which I believe to be Salvia farinacea (in a pot on the deck and in the hanging baskets along the drive) and which I treat as an annual, I have the sage 'Tricolor' in the vegetable garden and a pink sage x sylvestris called 'Rose Queen', in the bed alongside the green house. I've grown many sages through the years and enjoyed them all, several of which are on my wish list for this garden.

4 Comments:

Blogger Annie in Austin said...

It looks like farinacea to me, too. I grew it as an annual in IL, but here in TX it's a native and usually perennial.

I love the whole Salvia family, too.

Annie

9:11 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm a salvia lover, too! Do you have any tips for overwintering the tricolor sage? The regular culinary sages, the golden 'Icterina' and the purple variety all do fine for me, but I can't get the tricolor to stay around at all.

11:56 a.m.  
Blogger Kati said...

(trying again for the umpteenth time to respond to comments:) Many of the plants I buy at grocery stores and at canadian tire are poorly labelled, but some nurseries are not much better. As for winter-hardiness, I have sandy loam here, so it tends to get soggy and waterlogged a bit less. Maybe a mulch will help? I have killed as many salvia plants as I have overwintered successfully, with absolutely no regard as to type,unfortunately. :<

4:32 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have sandy soil here, too. Hmm. Maybe I'll just give it another shot and plant it as early as I can get my hands on some in the spring... and then mulch it over the winter, too. Thanks for the ideas!

9:53 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home