Saturday, March 03, 2007

how do YOU say it??

Hick, of Bee-mused in the Country, who lives and writes in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, tells a funny story here that brought back wonderful memories of my own son when he was 13 & 14.

When my son was about 14, at the time this story took place, I was taking a life-drawing class that I enjoyed. And as I am wont to do, when I am enjoying something, everybody gets to enjoy my enthusiasm with me (I admit it -- I go on and on and on...!)

One day, my oldest daughter came to me and told me my son had asked her about vasectomies, what they were, what was involved. She wasn't quite sure she had explained it to him properly and thought I should help out. But, she warned me, when she had suggested that he should ask me, he had reacted with typical 14-year old boy horror: What? Ask MOM? NO WAY!!

So, never one to shy away from controversial subjects before, when raising my kids, I said to him a short time later, "D., come here. I want to show you something." I had in mind an anatomy textbook, but before I could get it out, my son was already backing away.

"No, Mom. Forget it! I don't want to see any of your drawings of nude men."

I didn't get it at first. Nude men? Well, I was going to show him an anatomy book, to show what happens when men get a vasectomy.

He started to laugh, the typical 14-year old, relieved and yet even more embarrassed, if that were possible! "I thought you were going to show me your drawings of nude men from your art class!" my son said.

But he was very reluctant to look at the anatomy book too! He suddenly already knew all about it already and didn't need to look at that either...And he was pissed off at his older sister's big mouth for telling me...

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a vivid scene.

6:10 p.m.  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

Heh! Boys! Even my husband snickers at some things that I think he should have outgrown by now...like noises and smells that come out of the human body. I will never understand why they think its so funny.

12:14 a.m.  
Blogger Kati said...

Oh, I know what you mean hick. My son is nearly 26 now, but I can never predict what he will handle with astonishing aplomb and sophistication, what will have him groaning with embarrassment. Mind you, I'm aware that as a nurse, I tend to forget that certain topics would not pass for polite dinnertime conversation at all!

12:11 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home