Sunday, April 08, 2007

Lily & Grace: update

The little calico (or is it tortoise-shell) cats I've adopted are still adjusting. The first day they hid in the laundry room and I had to peer behind the dryer to catch a glimpse of them, they are so shy.

Friday night, I spied Lily up on the window sill in the laundry room and they had finally eaten something and used the litter box...

Last night, I found Lily up in the window, sitting on the frame of the bottom half of the window. And Grace, who Doreen claims is the quieter follower of the two, had ventured as far as the sauna and was sitting up on the top bench.

In the wee hours of this morning, a little form came flying down the hall, landed briefly on my bed and leaped off again, disappearing in a scratchy little blur back down the hall past Misty. Misty appeared to be returning to bed after getting a drink. The little blur and Misty nearly collided in the dark. Misty seemed a bit surprised by it all but didn't let it bother her much, settling back in her matter-of-fact way into her place beside me in my bed!

I'm still wondering when Lily and Grace will settle in and wander about with more confidence. They allow me to pet them, and I get little whispers of purring from them, but they are staying mostly out of sight!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Hello Kati,

How odd it must be to get back to a domestic routine after your trip to Ethiopia. You have great photos and stories, and I'm glad you posted them, even thought some of them are heartbreaking!

Since you can already pet the cats, even if they're hiding, it sounds as if you've made progress toward making them part of the family. Good luck!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

10:48 a.m.  
Blogger Sanna Tallgren said...

How nice! Little scary cats are so touching. It might take some time them to be so brave, that they can be just like...?? how do you say it " olla kuin kotonaan"- as we say in Finland? I´m sorry about my english...
Anyway. You dont have photos about these creatures? And how is your garden doing? I have no idea what kind of weather you have there. In Finland it seems that spring is winnig the battle... We had a very gold and windy Easter, but this morning weatherwomen bromised nice and warm nex weekend for me ;)

3:38 a.m.  
Blogger Kati said...

Annie, thanks for the vote of confidence!
Sanni, "to make themselves at home", is a similar phrase in English. Don't apologize about your english as my finnish is much worse. no pictures of Lily and Grace yet, no. they are still quite elusive. Spring in Canada: snow, melt,a peek at the crocus, more snow flurries. I'm about ready for warmer weather now!

12:54 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home