Friday, April 13, 2007

lost in translation

(March 21 - 29, 2007: Gondar & the Simien Mountains, Ethiopia.)

OK! I give up! I just cannot resist posting a photo of the labelling on this package. It's a delicious snack many of us stocked up on in Gondar before the trekking portion of my trip in Ethiopia.


The snack consists of a blend of roasted barley, peanuts and a third grain I can't identify. It's pretty tasty and as addictive as, say...popcorn. At the end of a day of trekking, when we arrived in camp in the late afternoon, the temperature rapidly dropping to freezing, this snack was often served with very welcome hot coffee and tea in our dining tent.
However, I wouldn't be able to guess what "organic testes" might actually mean...Sorry, my evil mind just finds it too, too amusing! (Mmm....Bwah-Ha-ha-ha!) (did I say it was delicious? ooops -- sorry! I'll stop now.....tee-hee-hee!!)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Based on years of trying to make sense of Japlish, my first thought is that the translated name of the product is "Organic Tastes".

7:21 a.m.  
Blogger Kati said...

Could be. Maybe I'll ask my Ethiopian friends what they think, but I fear offending them!

11:55 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home