Saturday, July 21, 2007

mixed feelings

A very weedy thing which I'm ambivalent about. Several clumps about the place are putting on a show now, but having struggled to weed them out of a couple of flowerbeds, they don't have my wholehearted affection. They multiply by millions of seeds and creeping white roots, but it's the long, tough rhizome, somewhat like a parsnip, which snaps away easily and stays in the ground that makes the creeping bellflower, Campanula rapunculoides, so difficult to eradicate once it gets a toe hold in your lawns or flowerbeds. This is amongst many campanula which were introduced from Europe and Asia as garden flowers.
Another weedy thing, but I've got to admit the late afternoon sun makes even this thug, the tawny daylily, glowing gorgeous!
Hens-and-chickens living happily on an old stump near my back step.

These flowers are a little peculiar only because I hardly have taken notice of them before. They have, however, redeemed the flowering stalk of the hens-and-chickens which when it first made its appearance, seemed a tad rude! Maybe it's just because my perverted mind keeps going back to a funny photo posted by Melissa aka the Empress.
No idea what the name of this daylily is. This is a new one for me. It's tangled up in a clump of daylilies under a maple and the old hickory or butternut (I'm not sure which), that keeps dropping bits of itself all over the driveway. Most of those daylilies did not bloom last year. But there was one spectacular double orange that I'm watching with great anticipation for it to open up again this year. I think I decided last year that it is Hemerocallis fulva 'Kwanso' -- a coming attraction.
The hollyhocks are multiplying themselves into the raspberry patch and even the ones I dug up and transplanted closer to the house are doing well. The storm that roared through here on Thursday night knocked the raspberry canes right over, but the berries are ripening still and I think I'll have some for breakfast tomorrow. It's not a tidy picture, but if the hollyhocks and raspberries are happy together, who am I to complain?

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

Ah, the rambunctious Creeping bellflower ... almost impossible to eradicate. It pops up everywhere. When it is blooming, it is pretty, but looks pretty bedraggled for the rest of the summer.

I think I have a dirty mind too ... I thought the same thing about my hens and chicks in bloom!

1:26 a.m.  
Blogger Melanie Rimmer said...

"if the hollyhocks and raspberries are happy together, who am I to complain" I like your attitude. Hollyhocks and raspberries sound perfectly lovely to me.

3:25 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Those hens and chicks are very cute, but the soft pale yellow of the hollyhock is absolutely arresting for me somehow. (Maybe because I've had the moody black ones in my yard all season and she is an optimistic counterpoint?)

10:10 p.m.  
Blogger Kati said...

kate, I'm so glad I'm not the only one! many years ago I read the observation that much of our architecture recreates a phallic symbol as well, and since then it seems to be a pretty insistent idea! lol

melanie, it's a spiritual lesson for me. I realize how often I am thinking things should go this way, and Nature has different ideas. A gardener is in danger of trying to order Nature all the time and missing the moments of crazy-wisdom. Sometimes it's better to stop resisting and start appreciating!

kim, I've been obsessed by the inner glow that seems to radiate from things, lately. When I am in the proper space so that I am able to see it, even the moodiest flower glows, something like a lovely glass of dark of red wine.

11:01 a.m.  
Blogger kate said...

Thanks Kati, for your lovely comment on my blog. It really helped me ...

10:37 p.m.  
Blogger clairesgarden said...

love your 'weeds'! I can never imagine gardening in straight lines and co-ordination, sometimes things do get out of control but you have to love 'em

4:39 a.m.  
Blogger Kati said...

claire, that's just it, isn't it? the constant tension between order and chaos? the mystery of life that insists on growing no matter what judgments the gardener is trying to make!

12:18 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home