Thursday, July 27, 2006

lovelies

A lily -- I'm pretty sure it's "Stargazer"-- which was hiding under the Purple-flowering raspberry, Rubus odoratus. A dwarf relative of it, Baked-apple berry or Cloud-berry, R. chamaemorus, only 12" tall, with a solitary white flower and therefore, a single amber-coloured berry, is found from New England northward into Canada. I have fond memories of getting the rare jar of Baked-apple berry jam once in a while, from my ex-mother-in-law, in Newfoundland. It also grows in Finland too. And I believe in Finland it's called lakkamarja.

A heuchera, probably "Purple Palace" with hydrangea and a hosta in the background.

A pretty daylily that was here before I moved in. Anybody have any idea what variety it might be? Help me out.

Isn't this gorgeous? Another daylily that was already here before I moved in. No idea what it is. Can anybody help?

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I usually don't like daylilies, but this double (triple?) is gorgeous! I bet if you posted a pic of it on the daylily forum on Gardenweb, you'd get an ID quickly.

8:14 a.m.  
Blogger Kati said...

thanks, b.girl. I'll try that.

9:56 a.m.  
Blogger Sandy said...

Lovely!

3:07 p.m.  
Blogger Randa said...

Oh my GOSH those photos are gorgeous -- especially the multiple-layer lily! For a person whose favourite flower is the daylily, I sadly am not able to identify the different varieties. Your Stargazer is spectacular, too! Thank you for sharing :)

10:47 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That red daylily looks like a "red volunteer"

Family: Hemerocallidaceae
Genus: Hemerocallis (hem-er-oh-KAL-iss) (Info)
Cultivar: Red Volunteer

beautiful.

11:29 p.m.  
Blogger Diana LaMarre said...

Hi Kati,
That orange one is beautiful. (I am a lover of orange).
It looks like nobody can identify it...too bad as I would like to get one.

7:56 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home