Monday, July 24, 2006

skein winder/yarn reel

My "new" old skein winder.

Actually, what I have is a skein winder or yarn reel. It would be used once you have spun and plied some yarn. You can then wind a skein of yarn directly from the spinning wheel.

Yarn reels vary in circumference. Most are 2 or 2 1/2 yards around and make a skein of the same size. Some reels have a counter that clicks or marks each revolution so that you can determine your total yardage.

To wind a skein you can simply use your forerm, winding between your elbow and tumb; you can use a niddy-noddy or a skeiner stick (like a niddy-noddy, but with parallel crossbars); you can use a cookie sheet, or board; or you can use a swift (which would more often be used to hold a skein while you wind a ball of yarn.)


Blogger Blackswamp_Girl said...

I had many mental pictures in my head, but none of them looked like this! Very cool. :)

12:28 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home