Monday, July 10, 2006

amazonian?

One of the treats I look forward to in our northern lakes is the appearance of the Fragrant Water Lily, Nymphea odorata. Even as a kid, splashing about in the lakes during our all-too brief summers, these lilies, glistening white on the surface of the dark boggy waters, with their luxurious perfume warmed by the sun, tugged at mysterious places in my heart. Chances are the waxy white blossoms and the heavy scent had transported me from my familiar banged up canoe to some amazonian jungle as I watched dancing shafts of sunshine slicing through the murky waters around the lilypads. Of all the wild-flowers of my memory, perhaps these waterlilies seem the most exuberantly flamboyant, even exotic. Most of the other northern wildflowers of my memory seem to be much more modest and retiring.

3 Comments:

Blogger Naturegirl said...

This photo so peaceful and serene. I have water lilies blooming in my pond..shall go out now and gaze at them..oops better wait until the sun shines upon them! :)

5:56 a.m.  
Blogger Sanna Tallgren said...

From where in the world is this photo taken? I can see the same kind of view in the lake near by. The lake is in southern Finland. You have so beautifull garden!

11:39 a.m.  
Blogger Kati said...

Sanni, this photo is from a spot nearly in my back yard here in central Ontario, Canada. From what I do remember of Finland, this part of Canada is very much like it -- except for the steamy heat in summer. I don't think you have that in Finland, when even at night, it can be so hot the temperature barely drops after the sun sets. That's another thing, the sun sets here a bit earlier than your summer sun...

4:11 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home