Tuesday, January 04, 2005

daring

I am wondering this morning if I'm ready to tell all about my Mondo Beyondo. Maybe I have become so accustomed to thinking only in terms of what is possible, thereby limiting perhaps even what is possible by not being daring enough, that thinking about a Beyondo Mondo list is really stretching it for me. But then, that stretching and daring is the whole point, isn't it?

So, here goes, and once I start, I have a feeling I will want to add to it:

1. Buy a villa in Tuscany and refurbish it and the gardens.

2. Take flying lessons.

3. Host a "salon" for artists and writers and musicians on a regular basis.

4. Run a winery that makes delicious organic/pesticide free wines.

5. Do a pilgrimage on the Santiago de Compostela Camino.

6. Have my garden on the English National Garden Scheme list of open garden days with church ladies doing tea and sandwiches for charity.

7. Do a barge vacation down the Seine.

8. Open a shop selling books, herbs, art, organic cosmetics, with a wine bar/tea shop next door.

9. Ride the backroads across Canada on horseback, talking with locals, taking great photos, doing great drawings & paintings, making a film & book of the adventure.

10. Live for a year each in: Tahiti, Peru, Ethiopia, India, England, Hong Kong, Tibet, Mexico, Japan, Alaska, New Zealand, South Africa, Sedona Arizona. ( That sub-list will probably grow, so I will have to find a way to live to be 350 years old or more)

11. Make a list of the great books I have not read and start a serious reading program.

11. Build a retreat that caters to the poor/lower middle class who cannot usually afford to go to on a spa vacation or to a retreat, in a peaceful, beautiful wilderness location in the mountains or by the sea or both.

12. Do some paintings of the icebergs in the Arctic.

13. Have a farm and keep endangered heritage breeds of domestic animals, vegetables, herbs and flowers.

So there's my start on my Mondo Beyondo list. Not too terribly original, but the idea is that thinking about those things makes me happy. So there!

Browzing through a list of 2004's most notable happenings on Slate, I was disappointed to find it very US-centric, with one or two exceptions. Typical. Unfortunately, as many Americans do not understand that they are not the centre of the world, we will be prone to having nasty events like 9/11 occur again. Trouble is, if anybody has told them, too many Americans, and the current government in particular, perhaps have not really heard that there is a whole other world out there... Even on cbc's viewpoint and indepth , there can be found more variety and awareness of real disturbing cultural trends in the world, as well as thoughtfulness on what culture is (eg do we need another novel? and commentary on the popularity of radical plastic surgery in search of beauty, the issues of same-sex marriage, "the Trailor Park Boys", Rex Harrington, Conrad Black, mad cow disease). Sure, some people might question the loose way I group current events as cultural, but I don't see how they are actually separate. Anyway, I found cbc more interesting reading.

Here's a fun way to participate in your sense of the past year, at BBC's Music Review. Cast your vote!

Current mood: mixed!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home