Saturday, January 08, 2005

s'il suffisait d'un clic...

"Poucette" makes the point that it just may be a little self-congratulatory, (a little premature) and a little insensitive of us to be content that we have done something to help (in the aftermath of the South East Asia tsunami) by simply donating via credit card online, or popping a cheque into the mail... Meanwhile as Poucette points out, the crisis in Africa, for example, continues:

Mais pour le sida en Afrique ? Il faudrait convaincre les grands laboratoires
pharmaceutiques, convaincre le Pape et ses fidèles, éduquer les
populations...Pour les guerres civiles ? Il faudrait changer les gouvernements,
dissoudre les groupes armés. Et c'est tellement aléatoire, à long terme,
compliqué, décourageant...


S'il suffisait d'un don, il y aurait autant de
générosité je pense.

It does make one wonder how one's own prejudices prevent one from doing something real to make the world a better place, when one is surely blind to the beam in one's own eye while busy picking at the splinter in the eye of the other. I mean, to me it seems so obvious that the policies of the Catholic Church, for example, on birth control and the role of women have done all kinds of harm....So, what beam in my own eye am I not seeing?

My son came and helped me take apart some of the "built" things I will be moving soon, some stuff to my new place, and some stuff to be given away. My biggest frustration in trying to pack has been my inability to find large numbers of boxes--did I mention that already?--boxes that I obtained with ease (for free) before from the LCBO, great sturdy boxes that will take the weight of books, most important! Time rushes on and I fear I will not be ready.

I have been enjoying "Ave Maria, The Myth of Mary". I bought the CD for two reasons. First, I relish seeing the attempt by the church to replace the worship of the Feminine creative power and goddess cultures by the cult of Mary has become a cult of Mary in its own right, almost a primordial need to fall upon the mercy of a nourishing feminine Holy one, that appeals to almost anyone, Catholic or not. Second, because I noticed that "Chanticleer" performs their special arrangement of "Ave Maria" composed by Franz Beibl on this CD as well.

A surprise on the CD is Edvard Grieg's "Ave Maris Stella" performed by I Fagiolini. There is an 'interlude' between verses sung by only female voices that is out of this world, filled with longing, reverie...Love it.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home