Friday, April 08, 2005

raining on my days off

Has anyone else noticed how it seems to be sunny on the days you must go in to the paying job and stay inside, and it seems to pour buckets or even snow when you might have the time to muck about in the garden?

I dare not dream that my attitudes are having an affect on the weather, but wouldn't it be nice if I could have cooperative weather for the days I want to be in the garden?

Mind you, yesterday, I did have errands to run in the city and would have been sorely tempted to blow them off if it had been a sunny day...Maybe, sometimes the weather is really cooperating with my true intention. I know I would not have felt too good about myself, if I had put off going to the OHIP office and the passport office, and played about in the garden instead.

So, of course, today the day dawns sunny and warm, not very windy...but I cannot indulge myself in the garden. A quick check on the greenhouse seedings etc. The greenhouse get incredibly hot during the day and I have to open the windows and the door a crack to cool it off! (Still need to figure out someone to look at the automated ventilating system.)

A little ruby-crowned kinglet in the big tree outside my bedroom window kept me entertained yesterday as I was getting dressed for my excursion into town.

I have noticed several interesting waterbirds on the open sloughs, collections of water running of the melting fields, and the open water where the ice is breaking up on the lakes and rivers. Flying past in a moving car is not the way to do any birdwatching, but I am left wondering as I hurry along, "Was that a bufflehead? Was that a golden eye? Was that a wood duck or a teal?" Aaaargh! Why must I be is such a hurry these days? I mourn the lack of time to wallow in what I can only have glimpses of right now.

The incursion of the grey owls seems to be waning. They must be returning to their nesting grounds in the Assiboine forests of Manitoba. I did see one still last Monday...Hello, owl, I said. I'm sure she heard me as I drove by and waved at her. Hello, and thanks for making my day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home